Our History

The History of Rogue Credit Union

Beginning as a 10-teacher, member-owned cooperative in 1956, Rogue Credit Union has grown to a financial cooperative with branches in Coos, Curry, Jackson, Josephine, Douglas, and Klamath Counties. Today, we serve over 100,000 members with an asset base of over $1 billion. But what's most important is not our assets, but giving back to our members and our communities.

Rogue Credit Union's History

1956

in front of garage

In 1956, a small group of educators joined together in the Jefferson Elementary Cafeteria and began what is now Rogue Credit Union. 

From humble beginnings, the credit union began its operation out of the living room, and later the garage, of the credit union’s founding father Jim Johnston, along with the support of his wife, Harriet. 


1964

original houseThe Johnston’s outgrew their 100-square-foot garage and purchased a home on the corner of Newtown and Stewart, from where the credit union would continue to operate.


1972

jackson public service credit union signThe Credit Union merged with Rogue Federal Credit Union in 1972 to become Jackson Public Service Federal Credit Union. The merger enabled the Credit Union to offer new services.


1984

ashland branchThe Credit Union changed its name to Rogue Federal Credit Union, merged with Jackson County Employees Federal Credit Union, and converted to a community charter which broadened the reach to serve anyone who worked or lived in Jackson County. Two years later, the first Ashland branch opened.


1993

rogue federal grand openingRogue opened the first student branch in the state of Oregon at South Medford High School in 1993, which continues to offer a valuable learning experience for students while serving the members that are staff and students.


2012

chetco federal credit union signAfter careful consideration by the board of directors, the decision was made to purchase and assume the five Oregon branches of Chetco Federal Credit Union from the NCUA and retain employment for all Chetco employees.


2015

SOU ashland branchRogue converted to a state charter and changed its name to Rogue Credit Union. Rogue also opened its first Campus branch at Southern Oregon University, its first branch in Roseburg, and a new branch in East Medford.


2016

photos with awards2016 was a year of milestones for the credit union. Rogue grew to serve over 100,000 members, created the high-yield Ownership Account that rewards members for their participation with their credit union, deployed the Rogue Rewards Loyalty Programs, and most importantly, gave back $2.5 million dollars to its members in the form of a Loyalty Dividend. 


2018

south ashland new building2018 was highlighted with the opening of the South Ashland location and the return of $4 million dollars to our loyal member-owners through a Loyalty Dividend.